Verified Expert in Design
A veteran Toptal designer with nearly 2,000 completed hours under his belt, Sam collaborates globally with like-minded clients such as Google, Citibank, Hugo Boss, YouTube, and Levi's to ensure clear and effective communication with their audiences. He has over 15 years of experience in the fields of graphic design, brand creation, digital design, and creative thinking.
Branding for a Leadership Company
Strategic Rebrand for Carrot, a Global Fertility Care Provider
Freelance Creative Director | Graphic Designer
- Engaged as a consultant and creative director on numerous projects for various SMBEs, helping companies establish a creative strategy, vision, and critical path. Built, briefed, and led creative teams to realize that vision.
- Worked on a conceptual project for Google (while at MultiAdaptor in London)—making use of new and interesting interactive technologies and presenting our concepts at the Google Headquarters.
- Created (while at Wordsearch in London) a logo and visual identity for the Scalpel, a new skyscraper set to change the face of London's skyline.
- Conceptualized (while at Grey in London) an advertising campaign for Hugo Boss and created concepts for a range of new special edition packaging.
- Built a variety of work that has been published in a number of books and digital platforms.
- Conducted interviews for the likes of The Brand Identity and Victionary, as well as having features on Behance and The Dots.
- Designed and oversaw (while in Paris) the development of We The People, a fashion, lifestyle, and travel online destination. The website was featured on SiteInspire.com.
Senior Brand Designer
All Turtles Corporation
- Helped to oversee the strategic rebranding of Carrot, a global fertility care provider.
- Worked with the team to reconsider and redesign all brand touchpoints, including website, social, presentation templates, flyers, billboards, and more.
- Provided guidance and assistance to junior team members.
Innovative Branding Expert
- Worked on the repositioning of USA-based French Florist, a nationwide floral retailer.
- Contributed to the full spectrum of identity elements, including logo, typeface, color palette, and photographic art direction, as part of the rebrand. I then applied these to various items, from the eCommerce website to packaging and billboards.
- Advised on wireframing and designed the entire UI, as there was a critical focus placed on the company's eCommerce platform.
- Supported the French Florist team in liaising with developers to ensure the website was designed to a high standard.
- Testimonial: "If you have the privilege of working with him, I suggest you don't miss your chance." – M. Jacobson, CEO.
Senior Graphic Designer
Spring in Alaska
- Led the art direction and designed numerous print and digital projects for a range of brands such as Penguin Publishing, Woolworths, Red Bull, and more.
- Communicated with clients, attended briefing meetings, and presented work.
- Created a full studio rebrand during my time at the agency.
- Worked on-location art directing photo and video shoots.
- Mentored interns and junior designers—acting as a senior designer/art director.
- Worked on creative projects for Citibank—producing campaigns and print collateral.
- Communicated directly with clients—managing the projects that I was responsible for.
- Presented work and gave pitches directly to clients.
- Created a campaign for New Zealand Library Week, including overseeing the onsite photographic art direction at Wellington Library. The campaign was featured heavily throughout New Zealand libraries.
- Designed a campaign for New Zealand Conservation Week, including creating the concept, pitch, illustrations, and all printed and online collateral.
- Designed and developed websites for clients using Samdog's proprietary content management system.
- Determined the design direction and was responsible for the layout articles.
- Collaborated with the writers to create interesting, readable articles.
- Managed the print production and proofed the magazine before it went to press.
Bachelor of Commerce Degree in Marketing
University of Victoria - Wellington, New Zealand
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Graphic Design
University of Otago - Dunedin, New Zealand
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring